Book A Driving Assessment
SDA offers driving assessments for
seniors, to help you stay on the
road and stay safe
Senior Driver Assessments (SDA)
- In most States in Australia, drivers 75 years and over must have an annual medical assessment from their doctor to continue to hold a driver’s licence
- If this is you, then your GP may also
require that you have your driving assessed before they issue your medical certificate
What is A Senior Driver Assessment?
- Carried out by a licensed driving assessor who is a Registered Driving School with SDA
- Assessments are commonly conducted from your home on the streets you drive every day
- The driving assessor will pick you up and take you for a test drive. During this time they will observe your driving, perhaps ask questions, and fill out an assessment
- At the end of the assessment they will return you to where you were picked up from
- The assessor will then submit your assessment online and the assessment report will be sent to your GP, and you will also get a copy
As you get older it is important to stay independent and a large part of this is driving a car. But along with this come additional responsibilities and requirements to ensure that you and other drivers stay safe.
In most states in Australia, once you reach 75 years of age laws and requirements kick in requiring you to obtain from your medical professional (generally your GP) a medical certificate which you must renew each year. Your GP will assess you to determine whether you can obtain the medical certificate and keep your licence, and part of this assessment may include a driving assessment. This is where SDA comes in. SDA can give you a driving assessment which your GP can use to help decide if you are still safe to drive.
What’s the process?
- Prior to your 75th birthday a form will be sent to you from your local Government for your doctor to complete – this is your medical certificate which you must have with you when you drive
- You complete the form and take it to your doctor. Your doctor will then assess you.
- Your doctor may refer you to this website to book a Senior Driving Assessment
- You are matched with one of our local SDA Registered Driving Schools.
- They will contact you to book an assessment and organise the time
- The assessor will pick you up and do the assessment
- The assessor submits an assessment report online which is sent back to your GP